Easy-care balcony plants - with little effort to a perfectly planted balcony
A beautifully planted balcony is a real highlight, especially in the city. However, many plant beginners do not really know where to start and are overwhelmed by the huge selection in the garden center. If there is no time for proper care, the balcony plant project often seems almost impossible. Easy-care balcony plants are therefore the perfect option for getting started. Once planted, they require minimal maintenance for a great result. Here you can find out which plants are best suited for your balcony, what you should pay attention to, and how the planted balcony boxes from The Plant Box can help you get started.
Balcony plants for beginners: you should pay attention to thisIn order to choose the right plants for your balcony, it is important to know how much sunlight your balcony gets per day:
- You can enjoy the sun on your balcony from around 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.? Then you have a sunny balcony! For a beautifully blooming flower box, you need balcony plants that can tolerate a lot of sun.
- Your balcony is only illuminated by the sun for part of the day (about 4 hours)? Then it lies in the semi-shade. Less sunlight does not mean that you have to do without a flowering balcony, because there are also plants that are suitable for your balcony box.
Easy-care plants for every balcony
It doesn't matter whether your balcony gets a lot of sun or is more in the shade; there are balcony plants for every lighting condition that bloom beautifully with little care.
5 uncomplicated plants for sunny south-facing balconies
- Of course, geraniums for the balcony are not an insider tip. But there are a few reasons why they are among the most popular balcony plants: They bloom in different colours from spring to late autumn and can withstand direct sunlight without any problems. The only thing you need to do for a long-lasting bloom is to give them plenty of water on a regular basis.
- Petunias love to be in the sun, making them the perfect option for your sunny balcony. If you water them regularly and generously, they will flower for you from spring to autumn. But even if you should forget it, petunias forgive you short periods of drought.
- Rosemary is not just a delicious ingredient for cooking. It is also ideal as an uncomplicated, evergreen balcony plant for sunny places. It requires no fertilizer, only a little water, and it can withstand longer periods of drought without any problems. Since rosemary is not hardy, you should put it in the kitchen during the cold season.
- Lavender is particularly suitable for plant beginners with a south-facing balcony. The year-round balcony plant is one of the less demanding species that tolerate a lot of sun and need little water. Well-packaged, hardy varieties can survive the cold months outside without any problems.
- Not only can sage be beautiful to look at, it makes a great addition to any herb garden. The many different varieties are also very robust, and drought hardly harms them; it should therefore be watered regularly, but only with a little water. Some varieties are hardy and can withstand low temperatures with the right storage.
Tip: If you want to be sure that your plants are always optimally watered, an irrigation system can help you. To avoid waterlogging, we use a drainage strip on the bottom of our own Plant Box.
5 easy-care balcony plants that also feel comfortable in the shade
- Chrysanthemums bloom in late summer and bring colour to your partially shaded balcony with their gold and copper tones. They are comparatively easy to care for and only need one thing: lots of water! Make sure you never expose your chrysanthemums to direct sunlight.
- Fuchsias glow in the dark - well, almost. The hanging balcony plant brings intensive pink, violet, and orange tones to your shaded balcony; it only needs to be watered regularly and protected from direct sunlight. Fuchsias are also happy about a little fertilizer, about every 2 weeks.
- Begonias come in many different colours. They bloom particularly well in partial shade, are super easy to care for and are therefore perfect for balcony plant newbies. If you water them generously on a regular basis and make sure that there is no waterlogging, they will bloom for you until autumn.
- Ivy grows all year round and actually almost everywhere. The evergreen climbing shrub feels particularly comfortable in shady places where it only needs to be watered regularly. Otherwise, ivy is very undemanding, because you don't have to fertilize it. If it gets too long for you, you can simply trim the excess ends.
- Busy Lillies grow particularly well in small planters - the ideal prerequisite for a balcony plant. You should place them in the shade, water them regularly with a little water, and add some fertilizer about every 2 weeks.
The easiest-care option: balcony plants from The Plant Box
You're still not quite sure which plants you want to combine with each other, or you simply don't have the time or the experience for a result that you are really satisfied with? We want to do the work for you. At The Plant Box, you will find a huge selection of pre-arranged balcony plantings, which we will deliver straight to your home. We personally created the arrangements ( refills ) and adapted them to the conditions on different balconies. It doesn't matter whether it's sun, partial shade, or shade - in our shop you will find ready-made plantings for every balcony to suit your taste. You will receive your balcony planting from The Plant Box together with tips for proper care - so even with little experience you never have to worry whether your balcony plants are optimally cared for.
Your advantages - uncomplicated balcony planting with The Plant Box:
- fully arranged balcony plantings are delivered to your front door; no more tedious searching, hauling, and repotting necessary
- According to your taste: Depending on the season, you can choose from a huge selection of balcony planting options that suit you and your balcony perfectly.
- Perfect for beginners, because we are happy to supply the right balcony boxes with the right bracket - made from 100% recycled vegetable oils (Made in Germany).
You have even less effort with our refill subscriptions: five times a year we deliver you a new balcony plant arrangement that you can easily put in your balcony box, so you will always look forward to a freshly planted balcony all year round.